Thursday, August 25, 2016

Crew's Birth Story


 Jess and I have decided its time to get our blog back up and going. We had so much fun together while doing it, and we both miss the creative outlet.

I am embarrassed to say the main reason the blog came to a halt was because of my pregnancy and my insecurities that I developed about my body during those 9 months. The constant nausea and vomiting didn't help the cause either! I had a breast cancer scare during the pregnancy and had to have a mammogram and biopsy done that took my attention elsewhere while we were waiting on the results of that. Thankfully it ended up being chronic inflammation.

I looked back at our posts to see where I left off and week 31 was my last pregnancy update. Baby Boy (Crew) ended up making his appearance 6 days past his due date! He was born on October 14, 2015 at 2:45 A.M. We went into the hospital the afternoon of the 13th because I was leaking some mysterious fluid. I had my membranes stripped the day before and had been cramping and bleeding the night before so I thought for sure it was my water leaking! They did some tests and it ended up not being my water, they didn't know what the heck it was to be honest! The doctor decided to let me stay and be induced anyways because I was scheduled to come back the following night for induction.

They started me on Pitocin around 2:00 in the afternoon, so we let our families know that it was time! My contractions started to get pretty painful and close together within an hour. I went into it wanting to make it as far as I could without the epidural...yeah that didn't last long. I was dilated to about a 1 when I went to the hospital and made it to a 2 before getting the epidural. That thing was amazing! I had a really experienced older man give me the epidural and I could totally still feel my legs and the pressure from each contraction. It stopped working a few times and I was little freaked out that I was going to have to push Crew out with no pain killers, I was so not prepared for that! Luckily they got it working again.

We pretty much just rested and watched movies the rest of the night. I had my Husband, Mom, Mother in Law, and my really good friend Esther in the room. I reached a 10 at about 11:30 p.m., however they wanted me to "rest and descend" for an hour. I wasn't super happy about that as I was ready to push and could feel that I needed to. After the hour the doctor came in about 12:30 a.m. and I started pushing. I ended up pushing for 2 hours..I have never been so tired in all my life. Towards the end of that 2 hours Crew's heart rate dropped dramatically and gave us all a scare, at that point my mama bear instinct kicked in and I gave it all I had and got him out on the next push.

There is absolutely no better feeling in this world than the moment you see your little baby's face for the first time. He was perfect, weighing in at 9 pounds 3 ounces, and 21 inches long. We are so in love with our baby Crew, he has brought such a sweet spirit into our home and we can't imagine life without him.

Patiently waiting:

All the doctors preparing for baby Crew's arrival:

Resting between contractions!

Meeting my baby for the first time!

Welcome to the world:

Daddy looking at his baby:

6 month pictures:

10 months (current)"

Thanks for reading!



  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. Oh my goodness Danica.. You probably don't remember this from when we worked together and I was pregnant with Harper but I had a breast cancer scare too just a couple months before she was born.. Ended up just being a fibroadenoma. But so scary to deal with while pregnant. Glad yours turned out ok too. And then I also pushed for 2 hours. Cute birth story and Crew is so adorable!!!

  3. Oh my gosh!! I had no idea that happened to you! It was seriously the scariest time, I seriously thought I was going to have cancer and a new born at the same time.