I recently was able to try Hello Fresh, a weekly food service that delivers amazing recipes along with fresh ingredients right to your front door. One of my coworkers recently tried it and gave it rave reviews, so I knew I needed to try it for the blog. The recipes I chose for my first week looked super complicated but ended up being so easy! They give you the recipe with step by step instructions and make creating a gourmet meal super easy! My husband happens to be a super picky eater and I was pleasantly surprised when he ended up loving the very first meal we tried. Hello Fresh works out to $12/meal per person (it's $69/week for 2 people and also has options for 4 and 6 servings per meal), and it takes all the hassle out of shopping and planning! If you are interested in trying Hello Fresh, use the code QWVYGB for $40 off your first box.
Recipe (feeds 2 people)Ingredients:
- 2 Chicken Breast
- 3/4 Cup Barley
- 1 Lemon
- 1 oz Sliced Almonds
- 1 Stock Concentrate
- 1 Crown of Broccoli
- 2 ClovesGarlic
- 1 Bunch of Chives
- 1 Roma Tomato
- 3 Tbs Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil with a large pinch of salt. Once boiling, add the barley to the pot and cook for about 30-35 minutes, until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cut the broccoli into florets. Zest and halve the lemon. Finely chop the chives. Mince or grate the garlic. Halve, seed, and core the tomato, then dice.
- Toss the broccoli florets on a baking sheet with 1 Tbs of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes, until lightly charred. Then, finish with a squeeze of lemon.
- While the broccoli roasts, heat 1 Tbs olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pan and sear for 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown but not yet cooked through. Transfer to the baking sheet in the oven to finish cooking for 6-8 minutes, until juices run clear when pierced with a knife. Remove from the oven and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the same pan, heat 1 Tbs olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced tomato and cook, stirring, for about 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ad the cooked barley to the tomato mixture along with the lemon zest, chives, stock concentrate, and 1/4 cup water. Toss to combine.
- Thinly slice the chicken against the grain. Serve atop the tomato-barley hash with charred broccoli to the side. Sprinkle with the slice almonds and enjoy.